Friday, August 24, 2007

Maintaining an even keel.

After I typed the post title, I wondered what that even meant? Somehow I knew it was a nautical phrase.

Anyway, this past week was to have been my third and final week of training at my new job. But then I was struck with bronchitis and unable to muster energy or stop coughing long enough to make it to work. I went to the doctor, was prescribed antibiotics, which I'm just finishing up. I've been fretting about being behind in training but spoke with my supervisor yesterday and she's already devised a one-on-one plan to help me catch up once I return to work.

Prior to getting sick, we had a wicked storm come through the metro. Wind, hail, non-stop lightning, thunder, rain. We lost three trees, our roof was damaged and hail cracked holes in our siding. The insurance adjusters totaled our roof (Yay, new roof!) and are attempting to locating matching siding for repairing it. If they can't match it, they'll total it (Yay, new siding!) and if that happens, my husband says we might as well replace the gutters, soffits, fascia and get all new windows while the siding is being replaced. (Yay, new windows!)

Our 1970 home is a mish-mash of colors and weathered materials. The wood trim around every window is painted a dark green which is peeling off. The roof is a nasty tan color. The siding is a cold grey "putty" which doesn't coordinate with the roof, the brick front or any other part of the home. There are raw wood posts in front that no one bothered to dress up with columns. So, when the insurance check is cut, I plan to select colors that sync well with each other. And finally having attractive, functioning windows - windows that open for easy cleaning or to let in breezes; windows with proper airtight seals!

My only lament is that we somehow didn't manage to get hail damage IN the house. Like on the medieval cabinets, the gold-fleck Formica counters or the yellowing linoleum floor. Darn it.

8 comments:

Michele said...

ha. Well next time there is a big storm like that OPEN the doors and windows and see what happens!

Beckie said...

I wish we had some sort of hail damage on our 1970's brown bedroom doors!

Too bad about the bronchitis, good about the one-on-one training, bad about the storm, good about the insurance!

Have a good, restful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. (At the old house we lived in for...oh...eons.)

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! (And I love your gold fleck formica, but I'm a weirdo)

Jaimie said...

That's great! About the new siding and roof. I want new windows!! We have those horrible 70's vertical crank windows that can't accommodate an air conditioner. I'm glad you're feeling better too. Don't forget to take before and after pictures of your house!

Masked Mom said...

We just got new windows at the shop where I work--the old ones were painted shut--the new ones open and close smoothly but of course the weather hasn't been at all the kind of weather you want to let in (pouring and in the 50s one day and 90+ the next). Anyway, considering that I don't actually live there (despite how much it occasionally feels like I do), I was weirdly excited by the improvements so I can definitely identify.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I think that linoleum would probably make it through any storm even with the windows and doors open:) That sounds like a classic of case of how good things tend to come in the strangest packages. Sorry to hear about your bronchitis -- I hope you're feeling better soon.

nita said...

go crazy tearing up the inside and claim a bear got in. your insurance company will love you!