Monday, July 23, 2007

Tiny triumphs.

I definitely overreacted about the unexpected overnight guest, I know now. Papa didn't care that the house was cluttered and messy and he only stayed one night.

It's easy to entertain an eighty-two-year-old man. I just showed him my vegetable garden and then all of us spent most of the time on the deck, sitting and chatting. He was content to watch my husband play fetch with the dog or me seed jalapeƱos, stuff them with cream cheese and wrap them in bacon. We didn't have to take him anywhere and he fell asleep in an upright position on the sofa. A lot.

Friday I quit my job at The Questionable Company. Though I didn't give them two-weeks notice (because I need these two weeks off to get some things done), they were very nice about it and even asked that I come back if my new job doesn't work out. Best not to burn any bridges.

I also discovered that any nutritional supplements, including vitamins in the grocery store, are not FDA approved and contain the same disclaimer that The Questionable Company puts on all its products and ads. So it isn't right for me to judge their product based on the disclaimer. I still dislike the whole multi-level marketing method of distributing that they utilize, but my coworkers were nice and it was a pleasant environment, despite the possible fire code violations of the offices.

I've exchanged a few brief emails with The Spider about the critique group she's setting up and my new job. The silence is officially broken but I don't anticipate anything warmer or friendlier, which is fine with me. I'm happy now, with minimal contact.

Still haven't heard from my mom. It's been a week and one day. I try not to think about it because it irks me so. I feel she's behaving childishly and I wonder if there's only more to come of this from her?

And finally, I've written. My dry spell has come to an end. This morning I added two new pages to a novel-in-progress. It's nothing extraordinary, but it's something to work with, to build on. It's the first thing I've written since April.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father-in-law is 87 - MIL - 77. So, I figure that when they are coming over, I don't have to clean as deep - because they can't see as well being older. heh heh - (the dust and dirt just kind of blends with their eyesight).

Also - I figure if my house is cleaner than theirs, then I'm okay.
And yup - entertaining my fil is walking him around the garden.

Anonymous said...

I used to go nuts cleaning the house, then I realised that the people I really want to spend time with are only interested in visiting me, not tut-tutting over my house.

Don't give in with your Mom. She is being childish, but is that your problem???

Anonymous said...

You're writing again! WhOOT!!!!

Sounds like the visit went okay. I guess we really are the ones that put the pressure on ourselves, aren't we? Oh, well.. thanks to years of my mother's training... lol.

Good news on the job front, too. It is always best to leave on good terms if you can. You just never know...

Anonymous said...

Congrats on writing again!

Unknown said...

I'm salivating over that recipe that combines some of my favorite food.